Back in the fall nerdywordybirdy asked me if I had any tips about choosing the right lipstick shade. I have done a little research and this is what I have found:
- Pick a color that is one or two shades darker than your natural lip color (Bobbi Brown)
- If you have thin lips, stay away from darker shades (About Style)
- Here are some shades that work well with different skin tones: (About Style)
- Fair – nudes, pinks, and light corals
- Medium – roses, mauve, and berry colors
- Dark – deep plums, chocolate, and reds
- Determine your undertone and stick with similar colors.
To determine you undertone you can look at your veins. If your veins are blue you have a “pink” undertone and should stay with cooler colors. If your veins are green you have a “yellow” undertone and should stay with warmer colors. Some may have both blue and green veins, in this case you are both and can wear any color. Another way to figure out your undertone is by whether gold or silver jewelry suits you best. If gold jewelry looks best on you, you have a yellow undertone. If silver looks best, you have a pink undertone. (10 Commandments Allure Magazine)
You can use these tips to pick neutral colors, as well as, “pop” colors. Just go for “pop” colors in the color realm that works for your skin tone.
I hope you found these tips helpful. Of course makeup is a way to express yourself, so I say if you want to wear a certain color of lipstick go for it! That is part of the fun!